Tuesday, August 18, 2015

An Act of Abandonment

(By Saint Jane Frances De Chantal.)
I have made some minor alteration to suit the modern English reader.


0 sovereign goodness of the sovereign Providence of my God!
I abandon myself forever to Your arms.
Whether gentle or severe,
lead me henceforth whether You Will;
I will not regard the way through which You Will have me pass,
but keep my eyes fixed upon You,
my God, who guides me.
My soul finds no rest without the arms
and the bosom of this heavenly Providence,
my true Mother, my strength and my rampart.
Therefore I resolve with Your Divine assistance,
0 my Saviour,
to follow Your desires and Your ordinances,
without regarding or examining why You do this rather than that;
but I will humbly follow You
according to Your Divine will,
without seeking my own inclinations.
Hence I am determined to leave all to You,
taking no part therein save by keeping myself in peace in Your arms,
desiring nothing except as You incites me to desire,
to will, to wish.
I offer You this desire, 0 my God,
beseeching You to bless it;
I undertake all it includes,
relying on Your goodness,
liberality, and mercy,
with entire confidence in You,
distrust of myself,
and knowledge of my infinite misery and infirmity.
Amen!




Share ShareThis


Technorati icon Technorati Cosmos: other blogs commenting on this post